Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Halo Beanie



Good morning all and welcome to day 30, and the last hat pattern for the #ittybittygianthatdrive
Wow its been one whirlwind of a month! Hats, more hats, a house move and more hats! September sure has been crazy busy, and I love it! Chaos and all. It's now time to start gathering your hats together, print out the posting form from the website, weave in any tails (gah, this part lol) and get ready to post your hats on October 15th. The address you'll need is




Chance's Clothes Project
c/- Cowra Neighbourhood Centre
15 Vaux St
Cowra NSW 2794
Australia


Today's hat it the Halo Beanie. Named after a beautiful baby that started me on my journey of preemie pattern designs. When I first learnt to crochet, I knew I wanted to do something more with it, something meaningful. I was searching the internet and came across a group on Facebook called Project Halo, that made teeny beanies for teeny babies. This became my first stop on the road to where I am now. Project Halo eventually merged into what was Little Angels Memory Boxes, or simply, LAMB. A challenge was issued for people to design some patterns for micropreemies and I thought well.. why not! I took that first step into designing. I look back at my first hats now and cringe some, I knew I could do better. So I spent a lot of time practising, learning stitches and joining methods, playing with yarns and sizes and colours.


LAMB eventually closed down, after serving its purpose for some time, and from there I was lead to Chance's Clothes Project, whom I still to this day support, and the recipient of the Itty Bitty Giant Hat Drive's hats. With the encouragement and support of the members from CCP I branched out into clothing, cocoons and booties for preemies and have not looked back! I think by this stage its fair to say I now have the largest collection of free preemie crochet patterns, ranging from size 0-8 weeks to full term, anywhere on the net. That was the goal, and Im so proud to achieve it. I'd have never ever got to this point if it wasn't for Halo and mamma Laura starting me on this journey.

A huge thankyou to everyone who joined in with the hat drive. It means so very much not only to myself, but to countless families across Australia, and indeed the globe, who's hearts are breaking. Thankyou for being the change.

The Halo Beanie

Sized To Fit:
32 Weeks Gestation

Measurements:
8cm diameter after round 4.
11cm in height
14cm in width across the brim

You Will Need:
DK/8ply/Light Worsted weight yarn in a main and contrasting colour. Im using Moda Vera Marvel
4mm hook

Key = A - Sage Green
           B - Light Green
           C - Teal

Special Stitches: trc - Triple Crochet

With A
1. hdc 10 times in a magic ring, join. (10)

2. ch2, hdc in the same stitch, 2hdc in each remaining stitch around, join. (20)

3. ch2, hdc in the same stitch, *hdc in the next stitch, 2hdc in the next stitch*, repeat around, join. (30)

4. ch2, hdc in the same stitch, *hdc in the next 2 stitches, 2hdc in the next stitch*, repeat around, join. (40)

5-7. ch2, hdc in each stitch around, join.

8. ch1, dc in the next stitch, trc in the next stitch, dc in the next stitch, sc in the next stitch, *sc in the next stitch, dc in the next stitch, trc in the next stitch, dc in the next stitch, sc in the next stitch*, repeat around, join.

9. With B, ch3, hdc in the next stitch, sc in the next stitch, hdc in the next stitch, dc in the next stitch, *dc in the next stitch, hdc in the next stitch, sc in the next stitch, hdc in the next stitch, dc in the next stitch*, repeat around, join.

10. ch4, dc in the next stitch, sc in the next stitch, dc in the next stitch, trc in the next stitch, *trc in the next stitch, dc in the next stitch, sc in the next stitch, dc in the next stitch, trc in the next stitch*, repeat around, join.

11. With A, ch1, hdc in the next stitch, dc in the next stitch, hdc in the next stitch, sc in the next stitch, *sc in the next stitch, hdc in the next stitch, dc in the next stitch, hdc in the next stitch, sc in the next stitch*, repeat around, join.

12. ch2, hdc in each stitch around. End off, weave in tails.

With C
Surface crochet on the edges of the light green. This tutorial HERE explains surface crochet better then I can, so jump on over and have a read. Follow the light green wave with your surface stitches on both top and bottom. End off, weave in all tails.

Add your photos to the Ravelry page HERE




No comments:

Post a Comment