Sunday, September 2, 2012

Free Crochet Pattern - Birdy Rattle




A few weeks ago I made a fun dinosaur rattle, and while it looked great, it had a lot of parts and took forever to put together. I'm all for fast and easy so today I'm sharing a pattern for a bird rattle I worked up this afternoon, in the hopes of it being easier and quicker! I'm sure it would look a lot better with a felt beak and safety eyes but in the interest of safety and to avoid swallowing hazards I've just embroidered the faces on with yarn. Yes, you can sell items from this pattern, however in return I ask that perhaps you link back here, or add a pic to the Ravelry page. I just love seeing everyone's outcomes! This rattle is done in a continual round, so no joins YAY

Ok so supplies!
DK weight yarn in bird colour and handle colour as well as small amounts of black and orange for the face. I used Moda Vera Marvel from Spotlight
3.5mm hook
jingle bells if you wish for it to rattle
polyfil stuffing (or whatever you use to stuff things with)
stitch markers

Make the wings first. Make 2


1. ch2, 6sc in the 1st chain, place marker
2. sc in each st around
3-4. Repeat round 2
Squash flat and sc 3 times across the top to close, ch1 turn
sc 3, end off leaving long end to sew on.



Rattle

with main colour (in this case pink)

1. ch2, 6sc in 1st chain, place marker
2. 2sc in each st
3. sc in each st around
4. sc, 2sc in the next, repeat around
5. sc in each st around
6. sc, sc, 2sc in the next, repeat around
7 sc, sc, sc, 2sc in the next, repeat around

(add face and sew in wings around here)

8 - 12 sc in each st around
13. sc, sc, sc, sct2g, repeat around
14. sc in each st around
15. sc, sc, sc2tg, repeat around
16. sc, sc2tg repeat around

Stuff up to this point, and stuff the handle as you go.

join handle colour (brown) sc around until handle piece is 3 inches long

sc2tg around, finish off leaving a long tail, weave tail in and out of final stitches and pull tight. Finish off and weave in ends.



5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations, under the Page 1 post on Sep. 02, 2012. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bookmarked!!, I love your blog!

    Also visit my web page resources

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!!! This is adorable!!!! I think I need to make up a bunch for baby gifts to have on hand, I have a bunch of friends having babies!! LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh! I just read thru the pattern and I was wondering it the bird part is big enough to put a plastic egg inside, with a jingle bell inside of the egg? Just a thought....would that fit? Like an easter egg? (I have a bag of them, shocker! haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smaller ones should. I've used the little containers that come inside kinder surprise chocolates, and the plastic eggs are not all that much bigger.

      Delete